Texas Division Home Page
Who We Are What We Do How To Join Find A Camp How To Contact Us Links To Related Sites

Who Can Join The
Sons of Confederate Veterans?

Membership in the Sons of Confederate Veterans is open to all male descendants of any veteran who served honorably in the Confederate armed forces. Membership can be obtained through either lineal or collateral family lines and kinship to a veteran must be documented genealogically. The minimum age for full membership is 12, but there is no minimum for Cadet membership.

    Applicants should submit the following documentation:
  • Application Form - Fill out the application form including the Camp number, along with the required support doccuments and present it to the Camp that you wish to join. If you are unsure which Camp to join or need help selecting one, email your application to the Texas Division Recruiter.

  • Lineage Chart - Create a continuous trail that links you to your Confederate Ancestor.

  • Proof of his service - To obtain proof of his service, contact the archives of the state from which the soldier fought and obtain a copy of the veteran's military service record. All Southern state's archives have microfilm records of the soldiers who fought from that state, and a copy of the information can be obtained for a nominal fee. A List of State Libraries and Resources can be found on the SCV General Headquarters site. In addition, the former Confederate states awarded pensions to veterans and their widows. If he was a Texas Veteran you can do a name search at the Texas State Library and Archives web site. All of these records contain a wealth of information that can be used to document military service.